Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Time for Change

No this isn't another of a million Obama ads. The election is over and change in the White House is far from my mind right now. Now do not think I don't believe this to be a great and historic event, but I doubt President-Elect Obama is currently worrying about paying off credit cards, finishing his education, or making sure one of his daughters doesn't throw up on him again...well that could be a valid concern.

As of today we have officially finished day two of the SAO transition. One that is far more important to me. I was a full supporter of bringing the new State Attorney in, and I in no way think that she doesn't have the best interests at heart for both the citizens of the 4th judicial, and the workers within it, or that she is more than qualified for the job. However, when you see some of your best friends being let go it makes it difficult. I feel as if I should be the one without a job and not them, for several reasons that they and I both know but I don't feel compelled to share with you at this time...perhaps gossip in a few months.

Right now I just have to sit and suffer. I hear daily stories of people being plucked from their 'homes' and moved to entirely different positions. People asked to do twice the work that they have done in the past for the same pay they have been making for nearly three years. In the end it is all supposed to be for the good of the office. We should run more effectively, and use less of the budget since we've cut a percentage of our staff, not to mention the great promise of raises to come. However, everyone must wait until the end of the year to see if this does in fact happen.

Does this mean that change is a bad thing? No, it doesn't. What it means is that an entire group, a family, must collectively sit and wait to see what happens to its remaining members. Hoping for the best in all aspects, but mentally preparing for the worst, because for some the worst has already happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment